I knew this instinctively. Yet, the experience of being with students when they self assessed was an experience I'll never forget and it's a process to which I am now committed. Below are my observations:
1. Students were very honest
2. They were harder on themselves
3. They used the measurements of the classroom - implicit messages to measure their work.
4. The process seemed very empowering for them
5. It was one thing that made them important participants in the community.
6. The question that asked them to analyze/assess their work as individuals and in groups gives them their own concrete words for measurement and improvement for the next half of the semester.
These observations led me think of many other things.
1. I need to move to port folio assessments
2. Students must have a chance - I must find methods for them to measure where they are when they enter the class; find out where they want to be - choose goals; and have the chance to measure their own progress and process.
3. Being responsible for a portfolio gives them power and independence.
4. Port folios like this are great to prepare them for navigating the real world.
I must add examples of the assessment and find research that supports the ideas.
No comments:
Post a Comment